Monday, June 09, 2008

Island vacation



What a weekend!
I had so much fun with my great friends. It makes me sad to realize how fast these last couple months are going to go with these girls. We took an adventure tour that started late Thursday night. We all got on a pretty uncomfortable coach bus and drove through the night to arrive at the south of Korea to board a ferry for almost 2 hours and arrive at Geumondo Island where we would be staying for about 2 days.
We also had the great pleasure of going on a boat 'cruise' of the Baekdo (which means hundred) islands...a lot less than the 1000 islands, but the views were incredible. This water was so bright and tourqoise (sp?).




The rock formations/islands were also so unique. The pictures hardly do it justice, but I hope you enjoy. The island is big for fishing, but it's definitely not a very rich island and I think this is the first time so many foreigners have come to their island (there were 85 of us!)



There was supposed to be a beach for us all weekend, but the tide kept the water at the rocks for most of the day. There was only a beach after about 2:30-3:00pm. And then it was really wet and lots of HUGE creepy water bugs. But the view of the beach and the water were still stunning.

After some pretty small meals and a lot of fishy delicacies later...word came that there was a pizza place!! I'm sure that place has never seen business like they did in the last 24hours we were there.

Saturday night we also had the opportunity to go fishing. We bought some bait and rented rods and went out to the dock. We fished for quite a long time with no action. Hardly a hint of a nibble. It was a little disappointing, but fishing is fun to just relax and be peaceful too. I was watching my bobber, when WHAT!? it went under...I felt a tug...and again...and voila! I had a fish!! I was screaming and so excited!! It was HUGE!! Ok, it wasn't, it was a baby and we threw it back in. haha Our friend Andrew was there to help me get the hook out and throw the fish back.
BUT I was still so excited and so was everyone else to know there were fish out there!



We kept fishing for awhile longer. Sonja got a little bored and gave the rod back to me to try again. I was just about to pack it in when WHAT?! Another fish!! It was hilarious. This time I wanted to actually hold the fish, who was the same size pretty much as the first one. It's possible that it may have been the same stupid fish, but we're not sure!! Shoulda made a mark on him or something the first time!
I released the second one too. I think I may have found my calling!!
No one else caught any fish there that night! I felt a little bad.


Sunday we headed home and stopped by a Korean folk village where they had many different activities for us to do! It was a great weekend and I'll take the memories of late night card games, sketchy beaches and great friends!!

4 comments:

andrea elizabeth said...

YOU UPDATED!

haha, I really like the pictures from the weekend, it was such a lovely time!

I don't know if I'll see you before BC, but I hope you have a fabulous time!!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful experiences you are having. Looks like you had a great time, even though you couldn't go swimming. Hope you have a great time in BC, especially visiting with your Mom. You're right, the rest of the time will go quickly, but I'm sure that you will enjoy it all. Sending you my love and prayers.
Aunt Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen,
Your fish story reminds me of when I was a little kid and my uncle caught the same fish like five times in a row. We knew it was the same one because it was all cut up from the hook. Anyways, I'm glad you guys had fun and have an AWESOME time in BC with your mom and training!!!!!!!!!
Maria

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks like a beautiful place. Too bad you couldn't enjoy the beach more. Hopefully there will be more time for that elsewhere. See you SOON!
Love Mom